Yields 12 cups
¼ cup olive oil
7 Spanish onions, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
2 baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
5 Romano fresh tomatoes, chopped
2 cups shredded cabbage, thinly sliced
1 cup packed fresh baby spinach
⅓ tsp ground turmeric
1 tbsp vegetable soup broth powder
4.5 litres of water
⅓ cup red lentils
⅓ cup yellow split peas
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large pot on medium heat, add olive oil and and sliced onions and garlic. Stir occasionally.
2. Next, add the potatoes and tomatoes to the pot. Continue stirring.
3. Add the cabbage and spinach, continue to stir for 2-3 minutes.
4. Add the turmeric and vegetable broth spice with water to the pot. Stir until all of the ingredients are combined.
5. Lastly, add the red lentils and yellow split peas.
6. Once all these ingredients are in the pot, bring to a boil.
7. Once the soup is boiling, turn heat down to low and simmer for 2 hours.
8. If using a pressure cooker reduce your time for a total cooking time of 1 hour.