Yields 14 servings
3 cups Romano beans, dry
5 cups water
2 cups zucchini, diced
2 cups carrot, strips or thin slices
3 cups cooking onions, sliced
2 cups white potatoes, diced
2 cups cabbage, shredded
3 cups baby spinach, chopped
3 garlic cloves diced
2 cup broccoli florets, chopped
2 cups broccoli stems, strips or thin slices
2 tbsp creamy vegetable broth seasoning
10 cups water
1 cup barley
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1. Place the dry Romano beans into a glass bowl.
2. Bring 5 cups of water to a boil. Add the water to the means and set aside for 1 hour.
3. In a large stockpot add zucchini, carrot, onions, white potatoes, cabbage, spinach, garlic, broccoli florets and broccoli stems.
4. Drain the water from the hydrated Romano beans and add to the large stockpot.
5. Add 10 cups of water to the stockpot ensuring all vegetables in the pot are covered.
6. Add the creamy vegetable seasoning to the stockpot.
7. Bring the soup to a boil on high heat. Then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 hours, stirring the soup occasionally.
8. After 2 hours add the dry barley, salt and pepper to the soup, stir well.
9. Simmer for another half an hour; stirring occasionally to ensure the barley does not stick to base of the stockpot.
10. Enjoy warm! Store in fridge for several days or freeze for future meals.